Widening the Circle
The Practice and Evaluation of Family Group Conferencing with Children, Youths, and Their Families
ISBN: 0-87101-367-3. 2005. Item #3673. 262 pages.
Widening the Circle is about developing family leadership, cultural safety, and community partnerships to safeguard children, young people, and other family members. This volume describes family group conferencing and critically analyzes its contributions to widening the circle. The practices presented are based on the authors’ extensive experience with family group conferencing in the United States and Canada as applied primarily in child welfare but also extended into juvenile justice and domestic violence.
- Unified overview of practice and research on the model
- International findings
- Extensive family examples
- Steps for organizing, facilitating, and following up on conferences
- Physical, emotional, and cultural safety at conferences
- Guidance for communities on starting and sustaining conferencing
- Evaluating conferencing to enhance practice
- Future directions for reshaping child welfare